Advancement in our society should never lead to the deterioration of our world. Creating positive social impact through tourism is the very reason this company is founded.
Strive to be better
This is at the core of everything we do — to be better. This is the reason why we come to work everyday. We are proving that tourism as a business can be a viable development tool for local villages. As a social enterprise, we measure where each baht goes and ensure that every traveler’s contribution goes into improving the local livelihoods.
Local Alikers are on the mission to enhance the livelihoods at local communities across Thailand and neighboring countries. By introducing them to community-based tourism, we bring out their best and surface them to the world through our website. On the other hand, we also build a free online solution for locals to use in managing their tourism business.
What is community based tourism?
Community based tourism is a form of tourism that takes environmental, social and cultural sustainability into account. It is managed and owned by the community, for the community, with the purpose of enabling visitors to increase their awareness and learn about the community and local ways of life.
How we curate our listings
We work closely with the Community Based Tourism Institute of Thailand (CBT-i) to establish a clear set of expectations and standards in our endeavors. The principles of our development work is backed by well-researched guidelines developed by the CBT-i. Local Alike only works with communities that have mutual understanding in what we do. In return, we make a responsible decision to manage their carrying capacity, ensuring that their livelihoods are undisturbed.
- Conduct field inspection
- We select villages based on their readiness. Local Alike introduces a set of tourism standards to make sure each village is ready to welcome travelers.
- Know the locals and set expectations
- We enter the village and create an active conversation. We understand their needs and agree on how tourism can help them reach their solutions.
- Bring out their best and help them shine
- Local Alike takes responsibility in helping them come up with unique content used to promote their village. We work with locals to come up with a price then get it online.
- Generate interest and soft launch
- We launch a pilot trip to introduce travelers to the village while going through the entire process with villagers. These trips help us iterate and make sure everything is ready.
- Lift off onto online platform
- Once everything is good-to-go, we green light the village on our platform and it’s ready for all travelers to book. We start tracking our social impact starting here.
Download Annaul Report 2018